Sunday, April 15, 2012

Garden Update - Couple Weeks Ago


 I'm a little behind on the posting, so this was the garden a few weeks ago.   I remember aiming for March 17 as my planting date but I'm pretty sure that didn't happen. I'm not quite sure how old the garden is, maybe 4 weeks total?   So let's say this was the garden at 2 weeks old. In the top pic you can see the pickling cucumbers starting to go up the trellis and some seeds coming up. Boy those scallions look scrawny!
 This box has the strawberries on the far end with the lemon cucumbers. I over seeded the cukes and I think every single one germinated. I probably should thin them out but I hate doing that, if it sprouted, I wanna give it a chance. I may regret that when the bugs and diseases start running rampant and everything s packed so close together. 

 Speaking of bugs, something has been nibbling on the eggplant already. A little leafminer damage as well, that's the white wiggly lines.
Here are the lemon cukes. Surprisingly hardy with thick sturdy stems in such young plants. The regular pickling cukes are usually falling all over themselves at this height.  Lookin' good!
And of course the marigolds that I started myself from seed. Saved $10.00 by saving my own seeds and starting them on my own. Marigolds are SUPER easy and well worth doing yourself. Interestingly, I loved the flowers that had an orange center and dark red/orange border so I only saved seeds from those specific flowers. And look what I got, everything but the one I saved! 

No comments:

Post a Comment