Thursday, April 12, 2012

In the Ground

This post is a little behind seeing as the plants have been in the ground a few weeks now. Oops! Just wait till I post an update because these little bitty plants and seeds have been growing like gang busters!
 Along this trellis I planted a few lemon cucumber seeds. I planted quite a few in the hopes that at least a decent amount of plants come up.
 Here's the gypsy pepper, we planted 3 of them. They'll grow into smaller sized bell peppers but not as mini as the yummy peppers last time.
 Wilty little eggplant, we planted 2 of 'em. I planted the Japanese type so that we'll get a few smaller vegetables instead of one or two big ones.
Here's a regular old green cucumber, can't wait to make more pickles!
Since the Big Beef was good to us in the last garden, we planted one of them again. I considered other varieties (and there are tons out there) but I'll stick with the tried and true for now. I only planted one since we were bombarded with the crop from 3 plants last time. 
Hot banana peppers, 3 of them! Can't wait!  I'm gonna can up a bunch of these in a brine and try to make my own banana pepper rings.  We love that spicy, vinegary flavor.
 An old stand by is the jalapeno, i planted 3 of those too.   We canned up a bunch of these to make pickled jalapeno slices and we'll probably do the same with this crop.
Hot cherry peppers. This was my "something new" for the garden this time around.  I have plans to stuff these little babies with some cheese and broil them in olive oil to make an appetizer. That spicy oil for dipping bread into is won.der.ful.
Oh well, I lied, there are a few "something new's" in the garden!  Here are some onion sets we're trying out. I don't plan to really get any  big onions out of these, I think it's even the wrong time of year for them but we eat tons of green onions/scallions and these will do just fine for that.
Next to the onions are some seeds. There are 2 rows of scallion seeds and three rows of carrots. The plan is that the onion sets will have a  head start then the scallion seeds will grow and make a second harvest. Each row of carrots is a different kind, even a purple one! Woo Hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment