Thursday, February 7, 2013

Evicted Strawberry Plants

When I was young, I remember my Aunt Mary having some berry plants and I thought how wonderful it would be to have my own one day when I grew up.  So last season I planted 6 strawberry plants. Doesn't sound like many but I don't have a large garden and relatively speaking, these plants were given the most space of any plant in the garden so far.  But remember, this was a childhood dream, so they were treated like kings!

They say that you can grow them in Florida as a perennial, just plant once and they'll keep on producing.  The truth?  Who knows!  These guys went wild last season, growing all sorts of greens, sending runners out and forming new plants anywhere and everywhere....then they just stopped.  Went dormant maybe?   They got thin looking, lost lots of leaves and stopped flowering.  But with space at a premium, nothing is allowed to be in stand-by mode, so they were evicted and relocated into a few pots.  Looking nice and green, will they flower and fruit?  Let's wait and see....

No comments:

Post a Comment