Sunday, February 3, 2013

Improper Broccoli Harvesting


It's been a great treat to grow broccoli in the garden this time around. It's our very first time growing it and I had no idea what to expect. I'm not sure why, but Dad never grew broccoli from what I remember.  Probably because us bratty kids would never eat it.

Well, times sure do change because we eat ALOT of it in my house now. It's Hubbies favorite veggie, we eat it four times a week and I'm not even exaggerating.   Since we eat it so much, it was a no-brainer to plant it. I'm so happy we did!  Homegrown brocc is mild and a little......sweet!  You have to plant it if you have room.


Needless to say, as first timers, we made some mistakes.  The main one being at harvest time.  We sorta cut the brocc head straight across which resulted in a rotting pit of nasty.  I kept looking around for what smelled so bad....like a rotten fish in stagnent water.....and found that the plant above was the source of the stink.  So be warned, cut on an angle to avoid a rotting hole of stink. 

No comments:

Post a Comment