Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Tomatoes - Disease Report I

Ugh.  Powdery white meldew.  It's a hotbed of disease in the raised beds this season.  Usually this powdery mildew only latches onto the cucumbers and leaves the rest of the garden alone. Not this season, it's on everything!   It's way too extensive to try any treatments so it'll just have to run it's course and hopefully not kill every single thing in it's path.

I'm starting to realize that it's futile to try and grow cucumbers in this zone.  Between the pickle worms that attack the fruit and the powdery mildew that attacks the vines, it's just not worth it.  I was very lazy in getting the diseased cucumber vines out of the garden and I'm wondering if that kicked off the wide spread damage.  Is this gonna linger into the next garden?  I guess I need to start reading about solarizing my soil.  Double Ugh.









No comments:

Post a Comment