Saturday, February 9, 2013

Peppers - Disease Report II


Disease has run rampant. I mean RAMPANT!  I planted quite a few pepper plants and had lots of plans for those peppers, but it's not to be. At least this time around.  It all started with a favor to a friend.  Do you recall the mystery pepper from Puerto Rico?  Well, I finally got one of the mystery pepper seeds to grow and it just never stopped.  It got HUGE!  The friend who provided the seeds wanted his picture taken with the thing to show his friends because it was the biggest he had ever seen.  Go me!  But, the thing got so big that it shaded out all of the other peppers around it. Moisture plus shade in Florida means disease.

I'm thinking this is gray leaf spot. If not that, then something very close and they're pretty much all treated the same. So I diligently clipped all of the affected leaves and disposed of them off site to control the spread. And....nothing.  Just more and more spots.  I'm pulling the plug on them this weekend. Poor things have been hanging in there but no real growth and hardly any peppers.

The seasons coming to a close anyway, so I won't have to wait too long to try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment