Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Big Build

Inspected by Ruby the Bullmastiff



There are literally 89,435,768 ways to build raised beds. Google it if you don't believe me. I'll wait. See, told ya. Everybody has an opinion. My "expert" (you remember youtube) has all sorts of great ideas, from $300 for a 4x8 bed right down to using free scrap pallets to get 'er done. Cedar looks like it's the way to go but I can't see my bed costing more than my yearly produce grocery bill, so regular old wood it is for this girl. We decided on untreated wood even though we know it won't last as long as the treated version. The new treated wood is supposed to be safe, but I don't fully trust any wood that doesn't rot. Not around my edibles anyway.

We're going with 2 raised beds, each one 4x8 with some trellis sections for climbers. We'll use untreated wood, some screws, weed fabric and cardboard boxes. Total for wood, screws, trellis and irrigation at a big box hardware store was $130.00 for both boxes.  Here's how it looked coming together.

One down, one to go!
Sides built with weed fabric and cardboard liner
Ta da!

No comments:

Post a Comment