Wednesday, December 28, 2011

First Harvest

 Who knew lettuce was so fun to grow!  It's not something that ever made an appearance in Dad's garden though, I wonder why? Lettuce is usually pretty inexpensive in the market so maybe it wasn't worth growing. I'll to have to ask him sometime. But I find it immensely fascinating! The small sprouts grow pretty quickly.  I think this batch was ready around the middle or end of October.  I was pulling the whole plant out of the ground at harvest time, roots and all. I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be doing. Can you tell I'm new at this? On subsequent batches, I cut the young tender leaves off and left the roots in the soil hoping they would grow more.  I lost track of what had already been cut because I ended up planting more lettuce seeds all around.
 I discovered that you need to pick lettuce very quickly down here or it bolts (you like that lingo, right?) and gets bitter. One day the plant is nice and young then a few days later it's super tall and leggy which is when it's getting bitter. Natures way of forcing us to eat more greens!
mixed lettuce

No comments:

Post a Comment