Monday, February 6, 2012

Can It!

We had a bunch of tomatoes that were piling up so I made some roasted salsa. It's pretty isn't it?  It's made from tomatoes and some roasted banana peppers from the garden.   I searched high and low for a safe salsa recipe since tomatoes are in the borderline pH zone and found this little beauty.  The salsa tastes great, very similar to the type that a local restaurant serves. Mine came out a bit liquid-y because I used a regular tomato and not a meatier plum type. Next time, I'll definitely take most of the seeds out to reduce the liquid. Live and learn!

Aren't these jars cute? We scoured the thrift stores looking for used jars but there are none to be found anywhere.  I mean anywhere and we looked hard. So we wound up at Walmart and even those shelves were picked over with some sizes completely gone.  But we were lucky to find some and snagged a few of these cuties.  Can't wait to do more canning, it's really enjoyable. My only problem is that I want to look at it and not eat it!

No comments:

Post a Comment