Thursday, February 9, 2012

What the Heck?



Three tomatoes with holes? What the heck?  It looks like some smarty pants birds have found my not-so-secret garden. I tried keeping this damaged one on the vine extra long to draw the criminals away from the other good stuff ripening but it got really moldy really fast, so it had to go.  I've been picking the tomatoes a little early and letting them ripen on the counter until I figure out a fix.

I've read that moving things like balloons and flashing light such as reflective tape can scare the birds away but it's only temporary.  Online suggests the only real fix is to drape bird netting over the plants. Do all roads lead to bird netting in Florida?  It wasn't too long ago that we were looking into bird netting for the cucumber and pickleworm fiasco.  Well, I gotta figure out something quick cause there are some real beauties out there waiting to ripen.

No comments:

Post a Comment