Sunday, February 26, 2012

New Addition - Blackberry

Woo hoo! Thornless blackberries!  The agriculture extension office in our area says that blackberries need to be planted in the fall and then over-winer to establish roots prior to the spring growing season. I've been wanting a blackberry patch for the past 5+ years and just never got around to it, until now......
There is so much conflicting info on the internet about these berries. I've read that they take over the entire yard, then immediately read another person say theirs didn't. I've read that they propagate underground with runners and then read that is only true with wild blackberry varieties. Supposedly, the domesticated brambles only spread if the tip of the branch hits the ground. Then I read that was not accurate. At this point, I have no clue what to expect. Which may be a good thing, keep a little adventure in my life! 
So these fellas went into a brand new mini raised bed that The Hubby set up for me.  They went in about 2 months ago and I'm just getting around the introducing them. I'm surprised by how they looked when we first bought them, they look pretty bad in comparison. I'm trying not to freak out! I keep telling myself that they're settling in and not supposed to be doing much growing.....


 Maybe I'm overly hopeful?



No comments:

Post a Comment