Thursday, January 5, 2012

Frost Damage Report

Passion Flower Frost Damage
On Monday the low was 49 degrees, Tuesday's low was 38 and on Wednesday the low was 35 degrees. Not too scary for a Northern Girl. I was very close to not really covering anything at all, but boy, am I glad that I did! Look at the poor passion flower! This is the first frost that the passion flower has felt and it did suffer some damage but it was minimal overall and the vine will have no trouble bouncing back as it warms up this weekend. We didn't cover it all, so I'm pretty pleased with how it held up.
Marigold Frost Damage
 I thought for sure that the marigolds would hold their own against the frosty temperatures, but alas, they show signs of serious freezer burn. All of the green foliage has turned a dark green/black color and the flower heads are all shriveled and wilted. I'd be very surprised if these bounce back, since they took a pretty heavy hit. Oddly, all of the marigolds have the same frost damage whether they were covered or not.
Marigold Frost Damage

 Tomato Frost Damage



 The tomatoes held up better than I expected. I mean, we're growing tomatoes in JANUARY, for crying out loud!  The parts that were exposed to the air had the typical frost damage with wilted leaves and stems. But the hubby did a great job of covering mostly everything so there are only a few sections affected.  I took a peek under the sheets and the main parts of the plants all look great. I think the Christmas lights helped out, I really do. Some parts of the tomato plants that were covered with only the sheet had some damage,  but every section covered by both lights and sheets was perfect!  Yeah! Christmas lights saved the day!
Ruby survived the frost just fine but the green grass did not.

No comments:

Post a Comment