Sunday, January 15, 2012

Growing Seeds - Calamondin

Seeds sprouting in a 4" pot
A co-worker of mine gave me some little sour citrus fruits that he didn't quite know the name of, a Google search says they're Calamondin. They're about 1-2 inches around and were an array of yellows and light orange.  They continued to ripen on the counter to a nice deep orange color. I tried one when it was yellowish and it was super sour, like a lemon with no sweetness at all. I tried one again when it was nice and orange thinking that it would be, well, like an orange.  Nope, not at all, it was still super sour.  They're cute little things and would be great as garnishes in cocktails.  Seems like you could use them just like a lemon.

I kept some of the seeds which I planted in a 4 inch pot. They all sprouted! So Cool!  I let them grow for a few weeks them transplanted the bigger ones into their own 4 inch pots and the smaller ones into their own 2 inch peat pots.  Their leaves as so shiny, I'm enjoying watching them grow.
Growing up!
Seedlings separated into their own 4" pots

No comments:

Post a Comment