Friday, January 6, 2012

What Am I?

Do you know what I am?
 Never mind the completely obvious powdery mildew on the cucumber leaves, we're looking at the little orange dude today.  Lucky for these guys that I have a policy to identify the bug before it is introduced to my extermination relocation program.  I love that Google thinks like I do, so when I type in something like orange beetle with black dots, the exact image of what I am looking for comes up. Nothing easier than that!
And guess what it says these little buggers are? They are the pupa of the wonderfully good garden friend, the ladybug.  That's right, the ladybug has a whole life cycle before it gets to the cutie pie red and black stage that we know and love. Who knew?  Google it sometime and take a look. Before the stage in these pictures, the lady bug is actually a black and orange/red caterpillar with black hairs sticking up all over.  Mind Blowing!  And since these guys help control the bad bug population, they got tucked right back into the garden to finish their journey into adulthood. I guess this is just the awkward teen years!

No comments:

Post a Comment