Sunday, January 22, 2012

Growing Seeds - Ground Cherry


I first head about the ground cherry through one of my favorite youtube channels called Growing Your Greens. It's a gardening channel hosted by John Kohler and it is utterly fantastic. He has an episode where he shows his ground cherries in his home garden in California and I was amazed, partly because the fruit is so neat and partly because I had never heard of it before.   These seeds are from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds and are the seeds that I am the most excited about!  We'll get to see a golden cherry grow inside a thin husk shaped lantern.  Can't wait!


Above is a picture of the seeds at about a week or two old, very delicate and tender. Yikes! I'm not an experienced seed grower so these little tiny things scare me. I actually killed a few by putting a grow light too close to them. From the picture, it looks like around 7-8 seeds sprouted. Below are the seeds at about a month old, somewhat more hardy looking but soooo delicate still. The packet says to grow them just like tomatoes, so that's what I'm doing. I planted them with some room to add soil as they grow since tomatoes grow roots from the buried stems. The pictures side by side like this really show how far they've come but every time I look at them in real life, it's clear that they have a long way to go.













No comments:

Post a Comment